Question: List five factors that potentially affect the architecture selection decision.
Answer: Any five of the following:
1. Information interdependence between organizational units
2. Upper management’s information needs
3. Urgency of need for a data warehouse
4. Nature of end-user tasks
5. Constraints on resources
6. Strategic view of the data warehouse prior to implementation
7. Compatibility with existing systems
8. Perceived ability of the in-house IT staff
9. Technical Issues
10. Social/political factors
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 43
Queation: Describe various integration technologies that enable data and metadata integration.
• Enterprise application integration (EAI). It provides a vehicle for pushing data from source systems into the data warehouse. It involves integrating application functionality and is focused on sharing functionality across systems, thereby enabling flexibility and reuse.
• Service-oriented architecture (SOA). Coarse-grained services that are well defined and documented
• Enterprise information integration (EII). An evolving tool space that promises real-time data integration from a variety of sources such as relational databases, Web services, and multidimensional databases
• Extraction, transformation, and load (ETL). Instrumental in the process and use of data warehouses
( Read More)